Black Diamond Knob and Tube Wiring
One of the earliest commonly used standard wiring methods that is still in limited use today is referred to as knob and tube wiring dating back to the early 1880’s to 1930.
Its name comes from the use of ceramic knobs used to hold wires in position while the ceramic tubes acted as protective cases for wires running through the floor and wall studs.
If you are living in an older home in the Black Diamond area with this knob and tube wiring method there are associated safety issues with which you should be familiar:
- Degrading rubber insulation exposing wires to moisture increasing the chance of fire
- Load demand limitations
- Two-stranded wiring with no provision of ground wire
- Fire hazard with more current flowing through wire than it was designed to handle
Since most homes built during that time period likely have this type of electrical wiring that is now found to be dangerous, uninsurable and impractical in today’s electronic age, we recommend calling on our licensed electricians to examine the system in your Black Diamond home for visible hazards and to recommend appropriate upgrading.
Black Diamond Knob and Tube
Replacing knob and tube wiring likely occurred in the 1930’s with the growing popularity and availability of non-metallic and armored cable systems for residential homes.
These are a few reasons to consider knob and tube wiring replacement in your home:
- Fire hazards where splices with red hot connections could ignite cellulose insulation
- Lack of a ground conductor
- Switches placed on the neutral wire turning off the circuit but not the current
- Improper alterations or unsafe splicing creating a potential safety hazard
- Degradation of wire insulation by heat and critters
- Refusal by insurance companies to write a policy
- Most installations restricted to 60-amp service
While some still consider this wiring method superior to current wiring practices when originally and correctly installed, these major problems and the fact that it is uninsurable are reasons to call us for replacement wiring of your Black Diamond home.
Black Diamond Knob and Tube Wiring Replacement
Upon learning of the hidden risks and the reluctance of insurance companies to provide coverage, we are called in for knob and tube wiring replacement by homeowners in the Black Diamond area for the following reasons:
- Our ability to conduct a complete wiring inspection by licensed electricians
- Extensive experience and skill to completely remove and replace old wiring
- Guaranteed services with superior results
- Family-owned and operated business
- Trustworthy, dependable and quality workmanship
- We meet or exceed state and local regulations and electrical codes
Call Reinhart Electric to request a quotation for replacement costs. (206) 602-2202